Beef King Ranch Casserole
Beef version of a Texas classic developed by Chef Matt Martinez.
- 5 1/2 cups shredded beef or fully cooked brisket (shredded) or fully cooked shredded beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh jalapeno, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 12 ounces canned evaporated milk
- 1 can Ro*Tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can condensed beef broth
- 8 ounces grated Cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- Add oil to large heated skillet and sauté onion, peppers and jalapeno.
- Mix in all spices and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add milk, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Stir in beef and cheese.
- Cut tortillas into quarters and placed half into a greased 2 1/2-quart casserole
dish. Top with half of the beef mixture. Repeat layers, ending with beef mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Texas Beef Council