Cabbage Roll Casserole
This casserole provides all the flavor of cabbage rolls without the work of rolling
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound extra lean ground sirloin 500 g
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 mL
- 2 cups chopped cabbage 500 mL
- 1 can (796 mL/28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup long grain brown rice 175 mL
- 1 cup sodium-reduced vegetable or beef broth 250 mL
- In large skillet with lid, heat canola oil over medium. Sauté onions and garlic
about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef. Brown about 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add cabbage, tomatoes, rice and broth and stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat to low simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- If preferred instead, after bringing mixture to a boil, bake in oven-proof skillet
with lid in 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) oven for about 40 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings; serving size 1 cup (250 mL)
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 200 Total Fat 6 g Saturated Fat
1 g Cholesterol 30 mg Carbohydrates 22 g Fiber 2 g Sugars 5 g Protein 14 g Sodium
140 mg Potassium 101 mg
Reprinted with permission from