Cat Litter Casserole
- 1 cup biscuit baking mix
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound ground beef, turkey or pork sausage
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using clean hands, mix together baking mix, cheese and ground beef in a large
bowl. Mold pieces of this mixture into various sizes/shapes. Place the pieces so
they they don't touch in an ungreased baking pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until brown, firmly and slightly crusty.
- While the meat cooks, place water, rice, salt and butter into a large saucepan.
Heat on high until water begins to come to a boil. Stir, turn heat to low and cover
pan. Simmer without lifting the cover for 14 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from the stove and carefully, lift off cover. Break apart or
fluff the rice with a fork and set pan aside.
- When meat is done, carefully transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Spoon rice and meat into the now empty pan, leaving some meat partially uncovered.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.