Chili Casserole with Cornbread
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced peeled tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Niblets frozen corn
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- Egg, if required by mix
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon sliced green onions
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef; drain.
- Stir in salsa, kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Cook for
3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare cornbread as directed on package using milk and, if required,
margarine and egg.
- Spoon cornbread batter around outside edge of ungreased 12 x 8-inch (2-quart)
- Spoon hot beef mixture into center. (Casserole will be full.)
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese; bake an additional 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted
and cornbread is deep golden brown.
- Sprinkle with green onions just before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 24, 2001.