Chisholm Trail Casserole
- 1 pound wagon wheels or other medium shape pasta
- 1 pound beef tips, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Cheddar or parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
- Meanwhile, brown beef in oil, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Remove meat; set aside.
- Cook onion and green pepper in skillet until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and return beef to skillet.
- Stir in tomatoes, pinto beans and bouillon cube. Simmer until beef is tender.
- Add meat mixture to cooked pasta.
- Add cilantro, black pepper, salt, and Tabasco.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings