Halupki Casserole (Stuffed Cabbage Casserole)
- 2 pounds ground beef (ground round or sirloin are best)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 red or green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons black pepper, divided
- 4 cups cabbage
- Chop garlic, pepper and onion; place in a large bowl.
- Add melted butter, 1 tablespoon garlic salt and 1 tablespoon black pepper to
the chopped vegetables.
- Add UNCOOKED rice and RAW ground beef; mix thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl mix tomato sauce, brown sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon garlic
salt, remaining 1 tablespoon black pepper and water.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste. If you like it sweeter, you can add up to 1
1/2 cups brown sugar.
- In a 9 x 13-inch baking pan spread half of the sliced cabbage - enough to cover
- Loosely cover the cabbage with the meat mixture. Don't press the meat down
- just lay it on top of the cabbage.
- Cover meat with remaining sliced cabbage and pour sauce over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F for about 2 hours or cabbage
Yield: 10 servings