Hamburger Upside-Down Casserole
Prepare the day before serving.
- 2 1/2 cups (3/4 pound) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen asparagus
- Cook macaroni and drain.
- Meanwhile in a hot skillet, melt butter. Sauté onion and garlic
- Add ground beef. Cook, stirring constantly, until brown.
- Stir in tomato sauce, salt, pepper and oregano. Simmer a few minutes.
- Spread over bottom of 2-quart casserole.
- Toss drained, cooked macaroni with grated Cheddar cheese.
- Arrange on top of meat andtomato mixture in casserole, packing it down.
- Combine beaten eggs and milk; pour over macaroni.
- Cover casserole with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until next day.
- About 2 hours before serving, heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Let casserole stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until macaroni is golden brown and custard is set.
- When done, remove from oven. Loosen from around edge with spatula and carefully unmold onto serving platter.
- Meanwhile, cook asparagus and arrange around casserole to serve.