Heartland Meatballs and Cabbage
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash garlic powder
- 1/2 cup fine cracker crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 can water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 thin slices lemon
- Combine ground chuck, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cracker crumbs
and eggs, and mix well. Form into 12 balls and set aside.
- Separate cabbage leaves. Place 1/3 of leaves loosely in bottom of
- Put 6 meatballs on cabbage, then another layer of
leaves, remainder of meatballs, and top with remaining cabbage.
- Cover all with tomato soup and water.
- Sprinkle top with sugar and lemon slices.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours, adding more water if necessary.
- Remove lemon slices before serving.
Yield: 6 servings