Impossible Mexican Fiesta Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- 1 cup dairy sour cream
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 cups buttermilk biscuit baking mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- Paprika (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Cook and stir the meat in a large skillet until brown.
- Drain off
the excess fat. Season the meat with the salt and pepper; set aside.
- Mix the cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and onion and set this mixture
- Stir the baking mix and water together until a soft dough forms.
With floured fingers, pat the dough into prepared baking pan, pressing
the dough 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan.
- Layer the meat, tomato slices, and green pepper onto the dough.
- Spoon the sour cream mixture over the top and sprinkle with the
paprika, if used.
- Bake uncovered until the edges of the dough are light brown, 25
to 30 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then cut into squares.
Yield: 6 servings