Italian Meatball Sandwich Casserole
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 16 ounces Italian-style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Mix together onions, bread crumbs, cheese and ground beef. Roll
into 1 inch diameter balls, and place in a baking pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until beef is no longer pink.
- Reduce the oven
temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Arrange the bread cubes in a single layer in an ungreased 9 x 13-inch
- Mix together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian
seasoning and black pepper until smooth. Spread this mixture over
each bread cube.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the grated mozzarella cheese.
- In a large bowl, mix together spaghetti sauce, water, and garlic.
- Gently stir in meatballs. Pour over the bread and cheese mixture
in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese evenly
over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until heated
Yield: 5 to 7 servings
Servings per recipe: 5; amount per serving Calories 1108 Protein
40g Total Fat 75g Sodium 1885mg Cholesterol 176mg Carbohydrates
67g Fiber 6g