Meatballs in Kraut Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck or round
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry rice, divided
- 2 (1 pound) bags sauerkraut
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- Mix ground beef, onion, parsley, egg, salt and pepper well by hand and
make meatballs the size of ping pong balls.
- Drain kraut, saving juice.
- Put half the kraut in a large deep casserole with half the drained juice.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup rice over the kraut, with caraway seed,
- Place meatballs on kraut and add remaining 1/4 cup of rice.
- Cover meat with remaining drained kraut and carefully pour
water into casserole until it can just be seen under the kraut.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees F until kraut is beginning to brown
and rice and meat are tender.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and hearty bread and butter.