This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Nana's Stuffed Bell Peppers
I made these last night. They cook on top of the stove instead
of the oven. That way you don't heat up the house. My Nana
used a cast iron Dutch oven. It was a huge thing and a pepper
never tasted as good as it came out of that ol' iron pot!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 slices bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- 10 large bell peppers
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mix ground beef, bread, onion powder and salt and pepper to
- Split peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and discard.
Stuff with meat mixture.
- Lay in cast iron Dutch oven (I use my big skillet).
- Mix ketchup, sugar and Worcestershire sauce and pour over the
tops of peppers.
- Pour water into the pot to bring up to 1 inch
from the bottom of the peppers. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Cover and reduce heat to simmer, cook 20 minutes. Check water
level to see that peppers do not stick, adding more water if
necessary. If peppers are tender, remove from Dutch oven to
serving platter and serve.
Posted by ginnyo at Recipe Goldmine 7/11/01 7:19:58 pm.