Old Dark Casserole
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) chuck steak
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (12 ounce) can dark beer
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, halved if large
- Salt and pepper to season
- Cut the chuck steak into 1-inch pieces. Dust with the flour.
the oil in a frying pan and brown the meat.
- Transfer meat to a casserole.
- Add the tomato paste to the pan and stir over a low heat until it
darkens to a brown/red color.
- Stir in the dark beer, stock and thyme.
Add to the casserole with the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and
- Season with salt and pepper if wished.
- Cover and bake
at 325 degrees F for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Serve with your favorite winter vegetables.
Yield: 6 servings
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine 7/27/2001 7:02 am.
Adapted and converted by FootsieBear.