A casserole version of the Russian runza (also called a bierock) which is a yeast dough bread pocket with a filling consisting of beef, cabbage or sauerkraut, onions and seasonings.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cans ready to bake crescent rolls
- 1 package (about 8 slices) Swiss cheese
- 1 head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with 1 package of crescent rolls.
- Brown ground beef with cabbage and onions. Drain grease from ground beef.
- Combine ground beef, cabbage and onion with cream of mushroom soup.
- Pour over crescent rolls.
- Layer top of ground beef mixture with Swiss cheese.
- Open second can of crescent rolls and layer over top of Swiss cheese, trying to cover
all the cheese, so the cheese does not become browned during baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.