Sage-Brushed Beef Casserole
- 1 (2 pound) beef round steak, well trimmed and cut into 2 x 1 x 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sage-herb seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup beef fat or vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups hot water, divided
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 16 small onions or 8 medium, halved (about 1 pound)
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 teaspoon dry onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1/2 teaspoon sage-herb seasoning
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- 1/4 teaspoon sage-herb seasoning
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Parsley for garnish
* If small boiling onions are not available, may use 1 pound large
onions, sliced in 1/4-inch rings.
- Beef Mixture: Dredge beef pieces in mixture
of flour, sage-herb seasoning, paprika and pepper. Brown on all
sides in hot beef fat in large skillet.
- Add 1 1/2 cups hot water
and beef bouillon cube. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add onions; continue simmering 30 minutes longer, until beef is tender.
- Transfer beef and onions to a 2 1/2-quart casserole.
- Add mushroom soup to sauce remaining in skillet and stir until smooth.
- Gradually blend in remaining cup of water. Heat to simmering; pour
over beef and onions in casserole.
- Herb Dumplings: Measure biscuit mix into bowl with onion flakes, celery seed, poppy
seed and sage-herb seasoning. Stir together, then stir in milk to
make soft dough. Drop by tablespoonsful over hot casserole (about
- Butter-Crumb Topping: Sprinkle casserole with mixture of bread crumbs, sesame seed, sage-herb
seasoning and melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees F for
20 to 25 minutes until casserole is bubbly and herb dumplings are
toasty golden brown.
- Garnish with parsley.
Yield: 8 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Beef Casserole Recipes