Salt River Skillet Meal
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 6 ounces vermicelli, broken
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 can tomatoes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) package American cheese slices
- Melt shortening in skillet.
- Sauté dry vermicelli noodles until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef and cook, stirring, until meat loses its red color.
- Stir in next 8 ingredients.
- Add tomatoes and water. stir gently.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Place cheese slices on top of mixture.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Yield: 8 servings