- 1 (10 ounce) boneless chuck steak, 1/2-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned Italian tomatoes, drained, seeded and chopped - reserve liquid
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 6 ounces new potatoes, scrubbed, 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup seeded and sliced mild green peppers (1-inch strips)
- On a rack in a broiling pan, broil steak, turning once until well browned but
rare, about 3 4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer steak to a 1-quart flameproof casserole and set aside.
- In a 9-inch skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; add onion and garlic and
sauté until onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes with reserved liquid and cilantro and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Arrange potato slices over steak in casserole dish; pour in tomato mixture and
top with chili pepper strips.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake until steak is tender and potatoes are browned, about 30
minutes longer. (If potatoes are not browned, place casserole under broiler for
the last 5 minutes of cooking.)
Yield: 2 servings
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine 7/27/2001 6:37 am.