Avocado Chicken Casserole
- 1 cup broad flat green noodles
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 6 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup roasted, peeled and coarsely chopped fresh chile
- Prepare noodles according to package directions; drain, and set
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drizzle avocado slices with lime juice and set aside.
- Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in flour, salt and Tabasco sauce over low heat until mixture bubbles.
- Add half-and-half slowly, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Add cheese and stir until it has melted. Reserve 1 cup of this sauce.
- Mix remainder of sauce with cooked noodles.
- Place chicken in bottom of a 9 x l3-inch baking dish.
- Cover with chopped green chiles.
- Spoon noodle mixture over chicken and chiles.
- Place avocado slices on top and pour reserved sauce over avocados.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings