Baked Chicken and Dumplings
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, uncooked
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 2 1/2 quart casserole with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and oil.
- Gradually stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well into a dough consistency and set aside.
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of casserole.
- Cover chicken with onion, celery, and carrots.
- Evenly sprinkle sage and pepper over vegetables; pour broth over dish.
- Using the dough mixture, form 2 inch balls and drop into casserole.
- Cover tightly and bake for 1 1/2 hours.