Chicken and Dumplin' Casserole
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 4 cups chicken, cooked, cubed
- 2 cups prepackaged buttermilk biscuit mix
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion, celery and garlic in butter until
- Add flour, sugar, salt, basil, pepper and broth; bring to
a boil. Cook and stir for one minute; reduce heat.
- Add peas and
cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in cubed chicken.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Dumplings: Combine biscuit mix and basil in a bowl. Stir in milk with a fork
- Drop by tablespoonsful onto casserole.
- Bake, uncovered,
at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Cover and bake 10 minutes more
or until dumplings are done.
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 8/23/2001 8:46 am.