Chicken Gloria Casserole
This is a great classic dish.
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and
cut in half lengthwise
- Kosher or sea salt
- 1/3 cup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup cream sherry*
(18 ounce) can Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 6 slices Muenster cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Spoon flour
onto shallow dish or pie plate. Coat both sides of chicken with flour;
shake off excess.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both
sides. (You don’t need to cook the chicken completely because it will
finish cooking in the oven.)
- Transfer chicken to 13 x 9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish.
- Place butter in same skillet; let melt over medium-high heat.
mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir mushrooms until
- Stir in sherry; cook and stir for additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in
soup; mix well. Cook until thoroughly heated.
- Pour mushroom sauce over chicken; top each piece of chicken with one
slice cheese. Fold cheese in half if it is too wide for chicken piece.
- Cover dish with foil; bake 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn oven
to broil setting.
- Remove foil from dish; broil 1 to 2 minutes to brown
- Remove from the oven; set aside to cool slightly.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
- Top with parsley.
Yield: 6 servings
* You MUST use cream sherry in this dish. If you don’t it won’t be as
good. The flavor it adds is what makes this dish heavenly.