Chinese Cashew Chicken Casserole
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, mix of white and dark meat, chunked
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon (1 1/2 teaspoons dried)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 ounces Chinese noodles
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whole and broken cashew nuts
- In a large skillet or chicken fryer over medium-high heat, heat
the olive oil, then add the chicken chunks and cook just until browned
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the pan
and place in a large bowl.
- Add the celery, onion, carrot, green
pepper and tarragon and gently toss to mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mushroom soup and chicken broth.
- In a casserole dish large enough to hold the ingredients, place
a layer of the Chinese noodles.
- Add one-half of the chicken mixture,
then pour 1/2 of the soup and broth mix evenly over the top.
- Top this with another layer of the noodles, the remaining chicken mixture
and the rest of the soup and broth mix.
- Top with the cashews.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes.