Chipotle Chicken and
Bell Pepper Casserole
The chicken has to marinate overnight, so plan accordingly.
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo, chiles stemmed and seeded, adobo reserved
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 12 whole chicken breasts (skin on or removed) or your favorite part of the chicken
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- In a food processor, puree the chipotles and adobo until smooth.
- Put the chicken breasts on a large rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat the chicken thoroughly with the puree.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering.
- Add 4 of the chicken breasts to the skillet, skin side down,
and brown over moderate heat, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Wipe out the skillet and repeat with the remaining oil and chicken breasts.
- Wipe out the skillet again.
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray (olive oil spray) in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and green pepper and cook over moderately low heat until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roast the red peppers directly over a gas burner or under a preheated broiler, turning occasionally, until charred all over.
- Transfer the peppers to a plate and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Discard the charred skin, stems and seeds and cut the red peppers into 1/2-inch dice.
- Add the chicken stock to the onion and green pepper and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatillos, tomato, garlic, cayenne and the roasted red peppers and simmer over moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper and pour into 2 large baking dishes.
- Set the chicken breasts/or favorite parts on top of the sauce, skin side up.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the chicken is deeply browned and cooked through.
- Scatter the scallions and cilantro over the chicken and serve.
Yield: 12 servings
Make ahead: The chicken can marinate for up to 2 days. The onion
and pepper sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Chicken and Turkey Casserole Recipes