Taco Rice Bowl
- 1 to 3 cups uncooked rice*
- About 2 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 to 4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (or 1 to 2 tablespoon dry)
- 2 or 3 fresh tomatoes, depending on size
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 6 cups cooked beans (two 15 ounce cans)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 to 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 to 3 cups salsa, to taste
- 3 cups cooked cubed chicken
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Chives or green onions, for garnish
- Sour cream
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Substitute tomato juice for water on rice package directions. Measure enough
rice and tomato juice for 6 servings. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning and the
onion to tomato juice. Prepare rice following package directions.
- Chop tomatoes. Stir half the tomatoes and the canned chiles into rice.
- Season cooked beans to taste with garlic salt, and taco seasoning. Use a potato
masher to partially mash beans (may substitute refried beans, if desired - thin
to desired consistency with water).
- Spoon 1/2 to 3/4 cups rice in bottom of bowl. Add about 1/2 cup seasoned beans,
shredded lettuce, cheese, and salsa. Top with cubed or sliced cooked chicken. Garnish
with sprigs of cilantro, chives and a dollop of sour cream.
* May use Minute, short grain or long grain rice. Measure enough rice for 6 servings.