Turkey in a Bread Basket
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) loaf unsliced sandwich bread
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces broccoli
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups cooked, cut up turkey
- 4 slices bacon, crisply fried and crumbled
- Bread Basket: Remove crust from bread. Make cuts down into bread 1/2-inch from
outside edges. Remove bread within cuts, leaving a base at least 1/2-inch thick.
Remove any loose crumbs. These can be used for bread crumbs or stuffing later.
- Place bread on rack in a 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- Mix butter and garlic. Brush inside, outside and bottom of bread with butter
- Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees F until all sides are golden brown and
crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool.
- Turkey: Remove florets from broccoli and reserve. Cut stalks into 1-inch pieces,
approximately 2 1/2 cups.
- Place steamer basket in 1/2-inch water in saucepan or
skillet. Place broccoli pieces in steamer basket. Cover tightly and heat to boiling,
reduce heat. Steam for 5 minutes.
- Add reserved florets. Cover and steam until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Cook and stir onion and mushrooms in margarine in a 3-quart saucepan until onion
is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour, salt, pepper and sage. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly
- Remove from heat. Stir in milk and heat until boiling, stirring constantly.
Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in turkey and broccoli and heat just until turkey is hot, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in bacon. Spoon turkey mixture into Bread Basket.