Cajun Shrimp Casserole
- 2 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small red onion,
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper*
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper*
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper*
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh or
frozen sliced okra
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (10
3/4 ounce) can cream of shrimp soup**
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnishes: quartered lemon slices, fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- Peel shrimp; de-vein, if desired.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and next 3 ingredients (through all bell peppers); sauté 7 minutes
or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in okra, lemon juice, and salt; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp, and cook 3 minutes or until shrimp turns pink. Add soup and next
4 ingredients (through long-grain rice), continually stirring until blended well.
- Pour into a lightly greased 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until casserole is bubbly and cheese
is lightly browned. Garnish, if desired.
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen onions and peppers
may be substituted for fresh onion and bell peppers.
** 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can
cream of mushroom soup may be substituted for cream of shrimp soup.
Unbaked casserole may be made one day in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking as directed. To freeze unbaked
casserole, prepare as directed, omitting Parmesan cheese. Cover tightly, and freeze.
Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.
Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle evenly with
Parmesan cheese, and bake 10 more minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.