Mock Oyster Casserole
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups Ritz cracker crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can minced clams, drained (reserve liquid)
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce to taste
- Peel eggplant; cut into 1 inch cubes and parboil for 3 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- Melt butter and add Ritz crackers; mix well. Reserve 1/3 cup cracker crumb mixture for topping.
- Gently mix beaten eggs, drained clams and eggplant. Add crumbs, salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce. Add just enough clam liquid to make quite moist, but not soupy.
- Pour into buttered casserole.
- Top with remaining crumbs, and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.