Scallops Florentine Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds large sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- One (6-ounce)
bag prewashed baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat
- 1 cup reduced fat pre-shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, toss the scallops in the flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
Add the scallops and brown on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove
from skillet and arrange in a casserole dish (a 7 x 11-inch size works well).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the
garlic and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook, stirring
frequently, until the spinach wilts, about 4 minutes. Arrange the spinach over
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the flour
and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour turns golden, about 2 minutes.
Add the milk, stirring constantly and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and
continue to simmer and stir gently until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the Cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese until
melted. Stir in the sherry and pour the cheese mixture over the scallops and
spinach in the casserole dish.
- Top with the breadcrumbs and the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
Nutrition Information: Calories: 330 Fat: 16g(4g saturated) Sodium:490mg
Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 2g Protein: 31g Calcium: 30% Vitamin A: 30% Vitamin C:
15% Iron: 10%
Reprinted with permission from
the National Fisheries Institute.