John Wayne Casserole
John Wayne is famous around the Maricopa, Arizona, area as he was one of the
owners of Red River Farms, a large feed lot near there.
- 8 ounces canned, diced green chiles
- 1 pound Monterey jack cheese, coarsely
- 1 pound Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix chiles and cheeses and put into a buttered shallow casserole.
- In a small bowl combine milk, egg yolks, flour, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Gently fold whites into the yolk
mixture. Then pour the mixture over the cheese and chile mixture and carefully blend.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lay tomato slices over the entire top.
- Return to oven and
bake 30 minutes longer, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Garnish with
a sprinkling of green chiles.
Serves 6 to 8.