Monterey Sunday Supper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Parboil and thinly slice zucchini.
- Place rice in a well-buttered casserole. Cover
with chiles and half the cheese. Layer zucchini and top with sliced tomato.
- Mix sour cream with garlic salt, oregano, green pepper and onions and spread over vegetables.
Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and top with parsley.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8.
Diced ham, cooked sausage, etc. may be added to give more substance to this dish.
This is good hot or at room temperature, and it travels very well.