- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 tamales, any variety, cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 eggs
- Red or green chile sauce, warmed
- Tomatoes and scallions, chopped
- Crema or sour cream
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- In a heavy skillet, warm butter and oil over medium heat. If the tamales are
fairly dry, use about a tablespoon more of oil.
- Add onion and sauté until very soft.
Add tamale pieces and stir them in gently. Cover the skillet for 2 to 3 minutes
to let the mixture steam and heat through, developing a little crust on a few pieces.
Keep the mixture warm while preparing the eggs either sunny-side up or scrambled.
- Spoon the tamale mixture onto plates.
- Arrange an egg over each and add a generous amount of sauce.
- Top with the tomato, scallions, crema and cheese.
- Serve immediately.