Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef or 3/4 pound ground beef and 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- About 8 cups cabbage, cored, quartered and cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven or other pot, brown the ground meats, draining off most
fat that melts off.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until onion wilts and softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage and the water to the pot and cook until cabbage begins to
soften and wilt, 5 to 8 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, caraway seeds and garlic and
stir to mix well. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover. Simmer until cabbage
is tender-crisp, 30 minutes or more.
- Serve over white rice or with rice on the side.
Serves 4 generously.