Baked Penne Bolognese Casserole
The red wine absolutely makes this wonderful Italian-style casserole.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 pound dry penne pasta, prepared according to package directions
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or 1/3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons beef flavor instant bouillon
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese or your favorite cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine beef, onion and garlic in large saucepan; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until beef is no longer pink.
- Drain. Stir in tomato paste, water, milk, wine, bouillon and Italian herb seasoning; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Layer ingredients as follows in 13 x 9 inch baking dish: half of pasta, half of sauce and half of cheese. Repeat layers; cover.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Nestlé and meals.com