Old Fashioned Macaroni Casserole
The addition of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup is what makes this mac and cheese unusual.
- 1 2/3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 (10-3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Gouda or cheddar cheese (1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, chives, mustard and hot pepper
- Stir in macaroni and cheese. Spoon into a greased shallow 2-quart baking
- Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until heated
through and bubbly.
Photo credit: cold_penguin1952 on VisualHunt / CC BY-NC-SA