Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Potato Casserole
- 3 cups idaho potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool, about 1 pound
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound skinless smoked sausage
- 1/8 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into 1/2 inch "half moon" cuts. Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
- Meanwhile, put cooked and diced potatoes into a 2-quart casserole. Add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
- Mix all remaining ingredients (except for shredded cheddar cheese and the paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted and smooth. (Use a whisk and stir constantly.)
- Pour white/cheese sauce over potatoes and meat. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 35 to 45 minutes.