Delta Supper with Cornbread Topping
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, onion and green pepper
in 1 tablespoon oil until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and peas; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine cornmeal mix, red pepper, milk, egg and remaining oil;
stir until smooth.
- Pour over sausage mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Yields 6 to 8 servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pork Casserole Recipes