Italian Sausage and Pepper Bake
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (20 ounce) package frozen stuffed shells or manicotti
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook Italian sausage; drain. Slice into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil. Add onion and peppers; cook until tender,
about 3 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and cooked sausage.
Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat shallow 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread half of
sauce in bottom of dish. Arrange pasta in dish; cover with remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil; bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes.
- Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Yields 6 servings.