Pork Steak Casserole 2
- 6 pork shoulder steaks, about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen cut green beans
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim any excess fat from steaks; sprinkle both sides of steaks with salt, thyme
- In a large skillet, in hot shortening, brown steaks well, a few at a time, and
put into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle rice and bay leaf over meat;
add beans. Pour undiluted onion soup and 2 soup cans of water over all.
- Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
Makes 6 servings.