Sauerkraut and Potato
Dumplings with Ribs
You will want to make this deliciously memorable dinner often.
- 3 pounds country pork or spare ribs
- 2 pounds sauerkraut in plastic bags
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- Couple black peppercorns
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium egg
- Wash and cut pork into serving size pieces. Soak in water for a while with some
salt; drain and dry with paper towel.
- Rinse sauerkraut in a large strainer under hot running water and squeeze out
the sour liquid, you may have to do this a couple of times. If you like the taste,
omit this step).
- Place sauerkraut, meat and seasonings in large pot and add water to cover, bring
to a boil and then cook slowly for 2 to 3 hours or you can use a slow cooker or
- Place one egg in blender. Cut potatoes into small pieces, dropping the potatoes
one at a time through blender cover opening. After potatoes are ground, add flour
and salt. Mixing well.
- With damp hands form into balls the size of walnuts and drop into simmering mixture.
Cook for about 15 minutes. Before dropping in the dumplings, meat can be removed
and kept warm.
- Just before serving, remove bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Serve with some rye bread
I have also made these with spaetzle mixed in with the sauerkraut/ribs just before
serving, which tastes wonderful.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 29, 2001.