Asparagus and Cheese Casserole
- 1 (10 to 12 ounce) package frozen asparagus
- 2 cups soft white bread crumbs
- 1/4 pound coarse shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons pimento, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate
- 1 (12 ounce) can MILNOT combined with 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 well-beaten egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, beaten stiff
- Cut into 1-inch pieces. Cook in 1/4 cup hot water with 1/2
teaspoon salt just until tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- In large bowl blend drained asparagus, bread crumbs, shredded cheese, pimento
- Heat MILNOT and butter, and add to beaten yolks. Blend well with vegetable mixture.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Bake in well-buttered casserole placed in pan of hot
water at 375 degrees F about 40 to 50 minutes, or until blade of knife comes out
- Garnish top with flowers made of extra cooked asparagus tips with pimento centers.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings