Cabbage and Then Some
- 1 can Ro*Tel tomatoes
- 2 medium-size cabbages, cored and quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 can corned beef
- Garlic, crushed fresh or powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Flour to thicken gravy
- Clean the cabbage leaves thoroughly. Put into pot, cover with water and boil
until almost tender. Drain in a colander and then chop, not too small, but bite
size pieces. Put aside.
- Fry onions in a little oil until tender, first the white onion, the white part
of the green onions and last the green part which should not be fried long.
- Add the tomatoes and fry down a short time. To this add hot water (about 1 cup),
1/2 can corned beef and cook about 20 minutes, stirring periodically. Add garlic,
salt, and pepper to taste. If more gravy is needed, add the amount of water needed
to cover the cabbage when put into a casserole.
- Butter an oven dish. Alternate layers of cabbage and corned beef gravy, finish
off with the corned beef (remaining half), broken into pieces and then Italian bread
- Bake long enough to brown the crumbs in a 350 degree F oven.
Source: A Taste of Louisiana