Italian Vegetable Custard
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups coarsely shredded yellow summer squash
- 1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 6 very thin tomato slices
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Beat eggs and flour in medium bowl until smooth. Add yellow squash, zucchini
and 1/4 cup olives; mix well. Spread in greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake in center of 450 degrees F oven just until custard is set, about 10
- Mix Parmesan cheese, basil and garlic salt; sprinkle over custard. Top evenly
with tomato, remaining olives, onion and Jack cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition Information: Per Serving: calories: 186 total fat: 8g saturated
fat: 2g polyunsaturated fat: 1g monounsaturated fat: 3g cholesterol: 214mg sodium:
338mg carbohydrates: 19g dietary fiber: 3g protein: 11g
vitamin A: 701.4IU vitamin D: 17.5IU folate: 85.0mcg calcium: 109.0mg iron:
2.7mg choline: 138.7mg
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
The American Egg Board