This is very good with game.
- 1 1/2 pounds turnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Cook turnips in boiling, salted water to cover until just tender. Drain. Sauté
in butter the onion, green pepper and celery until tender. Sprinkle with flour and
cook 1 minute.
- Add milk and stir until thickened. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper.
- Combine cheese sauce with turnips, place in baking dish and top with
- Brown under broiler. May be prepared ahead and run under broiler just