Zesty Bean and Rice Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- Chili powder, to taste
- Few drops red pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat oil with water over medium heat. Add onions, garlic,
mushrooms, and peppers; simmer, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 10
- Add rice, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and hot sauce; cover and simmer about
25 minutes or until rice is tender and most liquid is absorbed. Stir frequently.
- Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Vegetable Casserole Recipes