Abuelo's Cilantro Lime Soup
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 1/2 gallons water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup minced tomato
tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon chile powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped hot chiles
- 3/4 cup
- 2 cups chopped chicken
- 1/2 gallon reserved chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 7 ounces white hominy, drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- Remove skin and wings from chicken; cover with water and add chicken base.
Cook chicken over medium heat for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken and let cool; bone chicken and chop meat into small pieces.
- Place canola oil in pan and heat. Add onion, tomato, garlic, oregano, chile
powder, salt and chiles and sauté until onions are translucent. Add corn, chicken,
broth, chicken base and hominy. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Add
lime juice and remove from heat. Add chopped cilantro.
Yield: 8 to 12 servings
Nutritional analysis per serving, based on 8 servings: 151 calories, 4 grams
fat, 8 grams carbohydrates, 23 grams protein, 30 milligrams cholesterol, 976 milligrams
sodium, 21 percent of calories from fat