Abuelo's Spinach Casserole
- 5 pounds fresh leaf spinach, cleaned, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup 1/4-inch diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon
chipotle puree with adobo sauce
- 2 cups fresh diced onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh
- 1/3 cup fresh diced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons seasoning
- 8 ounce processed cheese, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 6 ounce cream cheese,
cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated
Monterey jack and Cheddar cheese combined
- Braise spinach in stock pot until limp but still bright green.
- Brown bacon in saucepan and drain, discarding drippings.
- Add butter to bacon in pan.
- Add mushrooms, chipotle puree, onions, garlic, red bell pepper and seasoning
salt and sauté until onions and mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in processed cheese and cream cheese cubes and cook until cheese has
melted, stirring continuously.
- Place spinach in strainer and press to remove all water. Place spinach in
cheese mixture and stir well.
- Add corn and stir well. Cook for an additional three minutes and stir continually.
- Place in casserole and top with grated cheese. Heat in oven until cheese
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Source: Abuelo's Restaurant - Lubbock, Texas