Amy Ruth's Home-Style Southern Cuisine Special Chicken
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) fryer
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 2 or 3 chopped chives
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 bay leaf, crushed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Cut the chicken into serving pieces, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the green pepper, onion, sage, thyme, chives, tomato, and bay
leaf and let stand for 30 minutes ( or longer if desired).
- Shake the chicken in a paper bag with flour until all pieces are evenly
- In a large skillet, brown the chicken in the oil. Cover, and simmer over
low heat for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the vegetable-herb mixture over the chicken, cover, and cook over
low heat for 45 minutes.
- Add the broth a little at a time, if necessary to prevent the chicken from
- Remove the chicken pieces to a hot platter.
- Thicken the pan juices with a little of the flour mixed with water and serve
the chicken over rice.
Source: Amy Ruth's Home-Style Southern Cuisine, New York, NY