Andiamo Warm Chocolate Raspberry Mini-Cakes
- 1 basket fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut small
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons flour
- Combine raspberries with 1/2 cup sugar, brandy and cinnamon in a medium
- Stir and simmer over medium heat until sugar dissolves and sauce thickens,
about 10 minutes.
- Remove 1/4 cup of raspberries from saucepan and drain, saving sauce.
- Butter two 3/4 cup custard cups.
- Whisk cocoa and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl.
- Stir chocolate and butter in heavy small saucepan over low heat until chocolate
melts and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in cocoa mixture.
- Whisk in egg yolks, then whole egg and flour.
- Fold in reserved 1/4 cup berries.
- Pour batter into two custard cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until edges are set and center is still shiny and
tester comes out with some wet batter attached, about 22 minutes (17 if convection
oven set at 325 degrees F).
- To serve, cut around warm cakes to loosen. Turn out onto plates. Spoon sauce
on the side. Sift confectioners sugar over and garnish with mint.
Chef's Note: Cakes are to have a slightly soft center. both sauce and cakes
can be made ahead of time. Cakes can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. When
ready to eat, heat in microwave for about 1 minute.
Source: Chef Barbara Mikacich, Andiamo, Sacramento, California