A & P Spanish Bar Cake
This makes one 9 x 13-inch cake. It can be cut into bars by running a fork lengthwise
across the icing to make it like the A & P Spanish Bar Cakes.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup solid shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- 1 cup plump raisins*
- 1/2 cup rough cut toasted walnuts
* Soak the raisins in warm water to plump them up while mixing the
other ingredients-drain before adding to batter.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Dry ingredients: Sift together and set aside.
- Next ingredients: Cream the butter, shortening together, add eggs and beat
well. Turn mixer on low speed and add vanilla extract and applesauce. Add raisins
and walnuts-keeping the mixer at low speed start adding the dry ingredients.
DO NOT over-mix. Just make sure the flour is all in, then stop mixing. Pour
into the pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes or until the
center tests done.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat well, adding more milk or confectioners' sugar
to make it smooth and easy to spread.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Photo credit: [email protected]