Ariana Restaurant ChalowBadenian (Sautéed Eggplant)
This is Afghan Cuisine.
- 2 whole eggplants, cubed into chunks
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 whole tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (for added color)
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cube eggplant and set aside.
- In a saucepan, fry diced onion with vegetable oil. After a few minutes,
add garlic and turmeric, mix for additional 2 or 3 minutes. Add whole chopped
tomato, tomato paste and diced pepper.
- Mix well, then add 2 cups warm water. Add salt and pepper, then all of the
eggplant. Cover the pan and simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Remove
cover and test eggplant to be sure it has softened.
- Serve in a large bowl, garnished with a cup of plain yogurt that has been
mixed with fresh garlic and a pinch of salt.
Source: Ariana Restaurant, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - owner Kadir Sultani
Pairs well with white basmati rice.